On Wednesday, August 12, FARE was joined by Dr. Robin Wallin, Director of Health Services at Parkway District Schools, for a webinar presentation about the CDC’s Tool Kit for Managing Food Allergies in Schools. The tool kit is a resource containing tip sheets, customizable PowerPoints, and podcasts geared for specific school audiences. Materials can be downloaded by school nurses, parents, and other health and safety advocates to help educate schools on supporting students with food allergies.
During the first half of the webinar, Wallin provided an overview of the tool kit and reviewed action steps that school staff members can take to prevent and manage allergic reactions in schools. Tool kit resources can be utilized by school administrators, teachers, transportation staff, school nurses, and more. Wallin stated, “While school administrator support and leadership is critical, managing food allergies in school is a team effort.” All members of the school community, including parents, health care providers, and school personnel need to know how to help students with food allergies be safe, supported, and included at school.
The second half of the webinar was dedicated to a live Q&A session, where Wallin and FARE’s Director of Education, Gina Clowes, fielded questions from participants on a variety of topics related to managing food allergies in schools.
Topics addressed included:
- Using non-food rewards in the classroom
- Section 504 plans vs. Individual Health Plans (IHP)
- Parental involvement in helping schools create a food allergy policy
- Supporting students with food allergies at PTO/PTA events
- Ensuring food allergy accommodations are both safe and inclusive of students
Below you will find a recording of the webinar and resources related to school food allergy management and the CDC guidelines.
Resources referenced in this webinar:
Additional FARE webinars about managing food allergies at school:
- What Every Parent Must Know About Managing Food Allergies at School
Speaker: Gina Clowes
- Managing Food Allergies in the Early Care Setting
Speakers: Gina Mennett Lee & Laurel Francoeur
- CDC Guidelines: The Gold Standard for Food Allergy Management in Schools
Speaker: Karie Mulkowsky
Join our next webinar!
- Speaker: Stephanie Leonard, M.D.
- Wednesday, September 23, 1 p.m. ET
FARE’s Back to School Online Headquarters is one-stop-shop for all of the most essential documents, forms, videos and information you need for back to school. Be sure to stop by!
Special thanks to Skeeter Nut Free™ and Sun Cups® for supporting our Ready, Set, Back to School Safely campaign.