How to Find an Allergist

Suspected food allergies should always be evaluated, diagnosed, and treated by a qualified medical professional, such as a board-certified allergist.

Elf on the Shelf Idea for Kids With Food (2)

What is an allergist?

According to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI), “An allergist / immunologist (commonly referred to as an allergist) is a physician specially trained to diagnose, treat and manage allergies, asthma and immunologic disorders including primary immunodeficiency disorders.”

What skills and training do allergists have?

The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI) states: “After earning a medical degree, the doctor must complete a three-year residency-training program in either internal medicine or pediatrics. Then, an allergist completes two or three more years of study in the field of asthma, allergy and immunology.  You can be certain that your doctor has met these requirements if he or she is certified by the American Board of Allergy and Immunology.”

Ways to Find an Allergist

Here are a few ways you can go about finding an allergist in your area.

  1. Referral

Your primary care provider may refer you to an allergist. Your health insurance company or health maintenance organization (HMO) may also have an approved list of allergy specialists.

  1. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Directory

This directory allows you to search by location or name and filter by specialty (e.g. food challenges, board certified, etc.)

  1. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Directory

Search by city or zip code for allergists and immunologists in your area. The directory also denotes Fellows who have achieved recognition as leaders in the field of allergy/immunology.

Keep in mind that it may take time to find an allergist who is right for you or your family. The information provided here is meant to serve as a resource for where to begin when seeking medical advice or attention for food allergies.

4 thoughts on “How to Find an Allergist

  1. My wife and I have been thinking a lot about our allergies, and I wanted to see if there was someone we could go to to figure that out. I really like that you say to ask your primary care provider to give you a referral. Since we are new to the area, it would be nice to have someone let us know who to go to. http://www.allergigroup.com/

  2. You wrote that one of he best ways to find an allergy specialist is to ask your primary care provider. Most people trust their doctor a lot, and knowing that you are going to someone who is trusted by your doctor would be very comforting. I’ll have to keep this in mind if I ever have any issues regarding allergies. Thanks for the read.

  3. I wasn’t aware that allergy physicians were required to complete a three-year residency-training program in internal medicine or pediatrics. That’s comforting to know that they’re required to do lots of school. I’ve heard, too, that these allergists have a much better success rate when it comes to controlling your allergies. My allergies get really bad in winter, and I may have to find an allergist soon to help me!

Leave a Reply